Chimes – This Week’s News From Coventryville UMC
Upcoming Events and News:
A MEMORIAL DAY PRAYER
Dear God, we pray for our military and their families lifting them up with Your peace, protection, and hope. We thank them for their sacrifices to secure our liberties. Keep in your mercy those men and women who have died in the cause of freedom and bring them safely into your kingdom of justice and peace. We ask this though Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Adapted from Catholic Household Blessings and Prayers)
EPA UMC REOPENING BEST PRACTICES
Cabinet, chancellor explain church reopening guidelines
By John W. Coleman
Bishop Peggy Johnson and the Eastern PA Conference Cabinet took turns explaining their Pandemic Reopening Best Practices for Churches document in a Zoom webinar Tuesday evening, May 12. Participation reached the maximum allowed at 500 viewers. A recording of the webinar is now available on the conference’s website and YouTube page. And a supplemental Q&A document, with answers to questions asked during the program, is also available. Read more…
THE COVID-19 NORM
- We will continue to provide weekly worship services online via Coventryville’s YouTube page, “Coventryville UMC”, until further notice. Services “premiere” at 11:00 AM on Sundays and then are available for “anytime” viewing.
- INTRODUCING Pastor Will’s Midweek Meditation – Check the YouTube Channel on Wednesday or Thursday afternoons for a prayerful meditation to boost your spirits. Watch your inbox for notification of the posted video.
- Both of our websites have a page dedicated to the recordings of the recent online services – a link repository. Please visit-CoventryvilleUMC.org: https://coventryvilleumc.org/2020/04/09/online-services/ or MyCUMC.com: https://mycumc.com/2020/04/09/online-services/
- The food card program for Giant and Redner’s grocery stores is operational. Please contact Marlin at 610-469-6671 to make a purchase. Drop-off or pick-up arrangements can be made.
- Office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00 AM-2:00 PM and Wednesdays 2:00-5:00 PM. If you call or email outside of those hours, please be patient for a response. If a situation requires urgent attention, please call Pastor Will at 484-942-0257.
- Please pray every evening at 8:00 pm and offer one-minute of positive thoughts for those who are ill, worried, and serving the sick, and for our country. May we rest at the throne of the Almighty our fears and cast them to You, O God. We know that You cover us with your wings. May God Bless us with his protection, grace, mercy, and love. Amen.
- Regularly scheduled giving continues with three options – drop-off during office hours, checks mailed to Coventryville UMC, 1521 Old Ridge Rd, Pottstown, PA 19465, and online at https://cumc.gvtls.com. Thank you for your continued support!
- Metal collection continues for the church to recycle for cash. Please drop off any small appliances, electrical wiring, etc. behind the shed in the cemetery, or call Janice Camaho (610-469-6141) for pick-up arrangements.
A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
THANK YOU: To my Family, Friends and Church Family, thank you for my drive by Happy Birthday Surprise! I heard all the horns blowing and I looked and saw a line of cars coming, and a Ridge Firetruck. Off course I knew right away what was happening. I cried happy tears. The fact that you all took the time to wish me a Happy Birthday was truly GREAT, so THANK YOU AGAIN! LOVE, Janice
Katie Proffitt is graduating summa cum laude from Slippery Rock University (SRU) with a Bachelors degree in Exercise Science and a minor in Adapted Physical Activity. She was a member of the Honors College, and she ran for the university’s division II cross country and track and field teams. Her graduation was postponed until further notice, but she would like to thank her church family for always supporting her throughout her education. She will be pursuing a Doctor of Physical Therapy in the fall at SRU and finishing her final season of track in the spring. Any cards may be sent to Katie Proffitt, 217 Belgian Drive, Spring City, PA 19475. Her email is email@example.com.
Due to COVID-19, the new date for the PA primary election is June 2, 2020. Consider the mail-in ballot rather than going to a polling place. To apply, please visit: VotesPA.com/applymailballot. Applications must be received by 5:00 PM on Tuesday, May 26th. Postmarks do not count. Return applications to the Chester Co. Mail-In Ballot Office, 601 Westtown Rd, Ste 150, PO Box 2747, West Chester, PA 19380-0990. Additional county offices and more details can be found on the application.
e-Giving Made Easy
Go to https://cumc.gvtls.com and select the giving fund you want to contribute to, enter an amount and your preferred frequency of donating. Repeat the process for any additional funds you’d like to support. Then, proceed to checkout. An email address is required, along with your contact information. Payment can be made through your checking account (preferred method since the charge to the church is significantly lower) or a credit card. Contact and payment information is stored to make future payments easier. For more detailed instructions, visit https://tinyurl.com/yb442ylw. Questions? Contact the main office at 215-375-2979.
Young Adult Bible Study
The next meeting of Coventryville United Methodist Church Young Adult (ages 18-35) Bible Study will be announced soon. We have been meeting at 7:00 PM in the Chrisman House or in people’s home. Please contact Emily Sollenberger for more information.
Upcoming Sermons/ Scriptures
May 24th—The Seventh Word from the Cross: Into Your Hands I Commend My Spirit
Psalm 31:1-9 • Psalm 31:10-19 • Psalm 31:20-25 • Luke 23:44-49
May 31st—Celebrating New Life
Acts 10:34-43 • Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24 • Colossians 3:1-4 • John 20:1-18
The Welcome Table- A Contemporary Worship Service- 9:30 AM
Traditional Worship Service- 11:00 AM
OUTREACH: First: Sales of water, soda, and iced tea in the silver refrigerator in our kitchen for the Appalachia Service Project. Second: the collection of quarters for laundering for the homeless and the ASP. Third: donations to the Hygiene Kits for UMCOR.
TEACHERS AND HELPERS NEEDED: We need some folks to teach or assist in teaching our elementary age children on Sundays from 9:30 am until 10:30 am, starting in November. Those interested in helping with this important ministry are invited to come and observe the current teachers in action on any Sunday. Volunteers may give one or more Sundays of their time each month (any time at all will be greatly appreciated). Please note that all teachers and helpers will need to have current child abuse and criminal background check clearances. Please see Betsy Booker or Sandy Geisler for more information.
CAN YOU HELP? If you could drive someone to an appointment, pick up groceries, or prepare a meal, Contact the church at 610-469-9350 or Sandy Geisler at 610-804-2925.
FOOD PANTRY DONATIONS
Any of the following food donations for the pantry would be greatly appreciated – 16oz size vegetables and fruit, single portion sizes of fruit, cereal, Chef Boyardee pastas, packs of crackers, individual juice drinks, etc. Peanut butter, jams, jellies, 1lb boxes of pasta and 14-24oz pasta sauce and 16oz varieties of Chef Boyardee are always needed. No institutional size foods or foods with outdated “use by dates” can be used. If you won’t eat it, then please don’t donate it. Thank you! Questions? Contact Dawn Fries at 610-326-9082.
Aluminum Can Recycling
Please put your DRY, clean and preferably crushed cans in a plastic grocery type bag and drop them in the trash can behind the shed.